Every year more than 200 000 immigrants come to Canada to pursue their life goals as permanent residents. They go through the application process that enables them to live, work or study in Canada. If their application is approved, these individuals obtain Permanent Resident card, which gives them equal possibilities with Canadian citizens. Therefore, newcomers follow the same regulations and have health coverage as naturalized Canadian citizens.
HOW TO BECOME A PERMANENT RESIDENT IN CANADA?
If you would like to become Canada immigration permanent resident you have to apply for permanent residency Canada. If you are a permanent resident, you are required to have PR card as an evidence of your living status in Canada. You will require this card when travelling to other countries and re-entering Canada on a vehicle as an indicator of your permanent resident status. There are certain conditions under which you may apply for it.
HOW TO APPLY FOR A PERMANENT RESIDENCY CANADA AND GET A PR CARD?
So that to apply for permanent residency Canada you must contact the closest consulate, high commission, or an embassy of Canada. Make sure you:
- Demonstrate a medical certificate
- Do not have criminal records
- Fill out and submit permanent resident application
- Pay the application fee
- Attend interview with immigration representative
You must also meet certain requirements for PR card. You may apply for it in case:
- You did not obtain a PR card when you immigrated to Canada
- You have a PR card that is expired or is going to expire soon
PR card is mailed to you by mail upon your arrival in Canada. If you failed to supply your Canadian mailing address when you obtained a permanent resident status, you must send it to CIC in a period of 180 days of becoming a permanent resident. In other case, your PR card will be lost and you will have to apply for a new one.
Consider that your PR card expiry does not indicate that you are deprived of a permanent resident status.
REQUIREMENTS FOR CANADA IMMIGRATION PERMANENT RESIDENT
As a permanent resident you are permitted to:
- Get equal to Canadian citizens social package such as health care insurance
- Live, have a job and study in any part of Canada
- Become a Canadian citizen if you apply for Canadian Citizenship
- Be protected under Canadian law and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
You must pay taxes and conform to Canadian laws at all their levels.
There are, however, certain restrictions:
- You cannot vote or run for political office
- You cannot hold some jobs that needs a high-level security authorization
Take into account that when you get your permanent resident status, you have permission to live outside the territory of Canada but toy are obliged to live in Canada for a minimum of two years from five-year period. If you inhabit outside Canada for longer period, you may result in a loss of your permanent resident status.
If you will need further information regarding the processing of permanent residence, do not hesitate to contact our consultants.